Monday, July 22, 2013

An Easy Table Runner

A few weeks ago I found a great tutorial for a table runner. Since we've almost finished our kitchen remodel, I couldn't wait to make a runner for our dining room table. Since we had a rainy and dreary day this past Sunday, I decided it would be the perfect day to tackle this project. 

I started with a small jelly roll from JoAnn Fabrics in gorgeous green prints - The Paisley Collection.  This project would also be great for scraps, but since I'm just getting back into quilting I didn't have the scraps I needed. The fabric for the backing is the same as the dining room curtains (which I made - more on those later), and the batting and binding I already had.

When I started the runner, I had my doubts.  It wasn't looking at all like the pics in the tutorial but I kept on going.  I'm so glad I did because it turned out great. The strips seemed to be crooked while I was working on it, which I couldn't figure out cause I pinned each strip before sewing, but I was able to even it up at the end before sewing on the binding.

The binding was way easier to do than I thought it would be, even though it required some hand stitching. I just sat and watched TV (Yay, Devious Maids!!)while I sewed and I was finished in no time! 

This is the first time I've attempted to assemble a piece with the batting and backing at the same time.  It took some effort, but I love the way it turned out and I will definitely do anothe one! 

Thanks to Amy from Diary of a Quilter for a great tutorial. (To see the original tutorial, go here).



I hope to make a few more of these in holiday colors. So much sewing to do and so little time!  Aaahhhhh...........



17 comments:

  1. Quilt as you go is a fun process for small projects I love how yours turned out and binding gets easier each time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned this tutorial a long time ago but haven't tried it yet! It's such a great one for any fabrics/seasons :) Thanks for the reminder! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These make great, quick gifts, too. Since I'm s sucker for QAYG - I'm made several before. I'm thinking of making some more again. Thanks for the reminder, Beth. And I invite you to link to Hexie Weekend to share your great tut. As I said, doesn't have to be hexie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun project, I need to try it or placemats to begin to make a dent in some of my "scraps". Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. It looks great. I sure will make some X-mas placemats. Looks like fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very nice! I love simple designs that really show off the fabric like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really cute, and I can totally see it in Christmas colours...as of tomorrow it's only 6 months away!! egad, I actually did notice that today... Thanks for the link to the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This runner looks great - gorgeous colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty - I like the idea of changing it according to the season, time of year, holiday etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Te envio mi blog de poesia por si quieres criticar.
    Gracias
    http://anna-historias.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/vacaciones.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a very pretty runner ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats; beautiful stuff!

    Check out a new blog for my gf she does beautiful stuff too!

    http://americanhookers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made one of those! Gifted it to a friend. How many did you finally make? They are addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finish! Those colors are very pretty so I'm anxious to see what you did for the curtains. I have a suggestion: choose one or two neutral fabrics from this collection and use them in the runners and for backing. That way the holiday runners will also go with the curtains but still be subtle enough for the holiday fabrics to shine. I'm going to have to make a few for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your runner and yes, you should be happy with it. And thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful table runner! and it's fun to try a new technique! !

    ReplyDelete